For those of you who might not know, it is maple syrup season in Canada. This past weekend I went to a sugarbush and walked around the mud, sampling syrup in small paper cups. The sky was very blue and seemed extra-high on account of all the tall trees.
I highly recommend maple syrup for any of the following remedies/procedures:
- sweeten your morning latte.
- pour over thick plain yogurt with fresh fruit
- drizzle on grapefruit
- gulp a tablespoon to quell a mid-afternoon sugar crash
- forgo the flu shot and get your immune-boosting zinc & manganese as naturally found in pure maple syrup
- add maple syrup and cinnamon to puréed cooked sweet potatoes
- combine maple syrup with orange juice and tamari (soy) sauce, and use as a marinade for baked tofu or salmon
I of course do not need to say anything in regards to pancakes, french toast or waffles. My younger brother, when he was little, used to pour maple syrup on his plate of sausages every Sunday morning. Brilliant.
The maple season lasts until the end of March.